Export to PDF
Gut Health and Immunity
How many of us are aware that guts play a vital role in the whole physiological and psychological process of our complex organism. Often, we fall sick and suffer from various health disorders.
Yet still failed to discover that our gut needs some care. The basic fundamental of healing starts within the gut. Know your guts better and keeps your immune stronger.
Gut health is key to overall health
It refers to the function and balance of bacteria in the many parts of the gastrointestinal tract. An organ such as the oesophagus, stomach and intestines all work together to allow us to eat and digest food without discomfort. A healthy gut contains healthy bacteria and immune cells that fight off infectious agents like bacteria, viruses and fungi. A healthy gut can communicate with the brain through nerves and hormones, which helps maintain general health and well-being.
We have always been hearing this “ you are what you eat’’
we must know that
- Food provides most of the raw materials that are essential for the brain and body physiological process
- The gut is second brain with significant connection with the central nervous system and other parts of the body
- The gut contains millions of bacteria when out of balance can cause illness
- All major organs affected by the gut mechanism
- An efficient waste removal system is key to a healthy gut
The gut is mainly referred our digestion system. There are 4 major processes of digestion that we should take note in our body to carry out its daily activities
- It digests our food. All food that goes into the body will be broken down into various components that the body can use for energy.
- It enhances the absorption of nutrients that are available in the food consume into the body. If not we will starve to death
- It helps us eliminate waste. Every molecule of the food that can’t be used, will sort out and remove the substances that are not helpful or good to the body
- It ensures a good balance of good and bad bacteria in the intestines so that the good bacteria present in the colon function properly
What would happen, if we're not properly paying attention to our complex system of digestion
The most concern step in healing our gut is cooking methods. The prefer method are
- · Stir fry
- · Steaming
- · Grilling
- · Baking/toasting
Small changes in our cooking style would lead to great transition towards gut health
Here are some basic tips on healthy eating
- Chew each bite at least 20-30 minutes
- Use molars to chew
- Slow down and enjoy your meal
- Don’t drink cold drinks with food
- Eat protein portion on your first meal
- Limit starch portion serving