Export to PDF
Strawberry | Description , Nutrient Composition , Health Benefits and Facts
Nutrition Facts of Strawberry
- Calories: 32 kcal
- Water: 91%
- Protein: 0.7 grams
- Carbs: 7.7 grams
- Sugar: 4.9 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Calcium: 12 mg
- Iron : 0.28 mg
- Magnesium: 11.8 mg
- Phosphorus: 20 mg
- Potassium: 89 mg
- Sodium: 10 mg
- Zinc: 0.18 mg
- Copper: 0.119 mg
- Manganese: 0.28 mg
- Selenium: 0.4 ug
- Vitamin C: 56 mg
- Thiamin: 0.025 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.016 mg
- Niacin: 0.386 mg
- Pantothenic acid: 0.122 mg
- Vitamin B-6: 0.035 mg
- Vitamin A: 1 ug
Strawberry : Vitamins and minerals
Vitamin C. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, an antioxidant necessary for immune and skin health .
Manganese. Frequently found in high amounts in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, this trace element is important for many processes in your body.
Folate (vitamin B9). One of the B vitamins, folate is important for normal tissue growth and cell function — and fundamental for pregnant women and older adults.
Potassium. This mineral is involved in many essential body functions, such as regulating blood pressure
To a lesser extent, strawberries also provide iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins B6, K, and E.
Antioxidant Capacity of Strawberries
The antioxidant power of every fruit is correlated to the presence of vitamin C and phenolic compounds like anythocyannins, ellagitannins e.t.c
Several research have published the lists of total antioxidant capacity values of many foods.
Result shows that berries are ranked among the top, 4 times greater than other fruits, 10 times greater than vegetables and 40 times greater than cereals.
Within the food groups, strawberries have greater antioxidanr capacities than apples, peaches, pears, grapes, tomatoes, oranges or kiwi fruits.
Antioxidants help fight free radicals in the body. Free radicals makes cell to degenerate.
Taking strawberry could help fight free radicals thanks to it great anti-oxidant content.
Phytochemicals in Strawberries
More than 25 different anthocyannin pigments have been described in strawberries of different varieties. Anthocyannin is responsibles for the bright color of the fruit.
Anthocyannin is an anti-oxidant that help fight free radicals in the body and slow down aging. It also offer anti-inflammatory effect and anti-cancer effect.
Ellagitannins are different combinations of gallic acid and hexahydroxydiphenic acid with glucose.
They are powerful antioxidant, in a study in finland, ellagitannis compounds were detected only in berries from the Rosacea family which strawberry is inclusive.
Sanguiin H-6 is the major ellagitannins in strawberry. Ellagitannins have being reported to have anti-inflammatory and cardioprotective property.
Strawberry : Other plant compounds
Strawberries are loaded with antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds, including:
- Pelargonidin. The main anthocyanin in strawberries, this compound is responsible for the bright red color (15).
- Ellagic acid. Found in high amounts in strawberries, ellagic acid is a polyphenol antioxidant that may have many health benefits (16).
- Ellagitannins. Related to ellagic acid, ellagitannins are converted to ellagic acid in your gut (16).
Procyanidins. These are antioxidants commonly found in strawberry flesh and seeds that may have beneficial health effects
Health Benefits of Strawberry
- Studies has shown the relationship between berries and improved heart health.
- Strawberries seem to slow down glucose digestion and reduce spikes in both glucose and insulin following a carb-rich meal, compare to a carb-rich meal without strawberries.
- A number of studies suggest that berries may help prevent several types of cancer through their ability to fight oxidative stress and inflammation.
- A strawberry- enriched diet has being shown to reduce oxidative stress in liver mitochondria and also improving respiratory functions.
- Evidence suggest that the addition of polyphenol-rich foods in the diet may imprive CVD risk factors, inhibiting inflammation and platelet aggregation and ameliorating function, plama lipid profile and free radical scavenging thus increasing the low density lipoprotein (LDL) resistance to oxidation.
Sample Strawberry Recipe
Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade Recipe
Make the strawberry lemonade mixture up to two days in advance, but wait to add sparkling water until you are ready to serve.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 10 large lemons)
- 16 ounce container fresh strawberries, hulled and cleaned
- 3 cups naturally- flavored strawberry sparkling water
Wash your hands thoroughly before you begin.
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool completely for about 30 minutes.
- Combine strawberries and half of cooled sugar mixture in a blender. Cover and process until very smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Then transfer to a 2 quart pitcher.
- Stir in remaining sugar mixture and lemon juice. Add sparkling water just before serving.
Club soda or plain sparkling water may be substituted for strawberry-flavored sparkling water.
Source : eatright
Will you like to talk to a nutritionist about your eating lifestyle, use our free service ask a nutritionist
Francesca Giampieri D.Sc. , Sara Tulipani Ph.D. b, Jose M. Alvarez-Suarez Ph.D. , Jose L. Quiles Ph.D. ,Bruno Mezzetti Ph.D. d, Maurizio Battino Ph.D., D.Sc., M.D.(2012). The strawberry: Composition, nutritional quality, and impact on human health.Nutrition 28 (2012) 9–19